July 9, 2014

Potato and Lentil Khichdi

This is one of humblest dishes that I used to like when I was younger but for some reason stopped enjoying it when I left for college, and hadn't had it in a few years- probably because my mom wasn't cooking it for me anymore.  I was feeling a little under the weather the other day, and called my mom asking her what to eat. She said chicken noodle soup or khichdi. It was a 109 degrees outside, so soup didn't feel appropriate for the weather. I asked for a recipe and decided to try it out. I was delighted by the results. The combination of rice with lentils makes for a nice comforting meal.



Ingredients:

1 cup of basmati rice
1/2 cup of yellow lentils
1 medium russet potato finely- diced
1 medium yellow onion diced
1/2 de-seeded jalapeno- finely diced
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 and 1/2 cup of water
Salt to taste

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, heat canola oil. Stir fry diced potatoes and onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add in lentils and jalapeno, quickly moving around pan to not allow sticking to the pan. Cook for a few minutes before adding rice. After two minutes, add water, spices, and salt. Allow the entire mixture to come to a boil. Allow the boiling to continue until rice is fluffy, and water is almost just above the surface of the rice. Cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is soft.



Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS