July 2, 2014

Masala Potatoes

I loved eating this dish growing up, and have since craved the comfort of it. It is so versatile as well, can be eaten alone, with rice, or with naan/roti. With a few tweaks to my mom's recipe, I have found a way to reduce the time without cutting on flavor.





Ingredients:

2 russet potatoes- cut into quarters, or sliced
1 roma tomato- diced
1/2 yellow onion- diced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves
3 tablespoons coconut oil
Water (for preventing sticking, as needed)


Directions:

Heat oil in a pan with a fitted lid on medium. Add onions and saute until onions are soft, and browning slightly, about 5 minutes. Add in tomatoes and all spices except fenugreek leaves. Saute until fragrant. Now, add in cut potatoes, saute some more. Adding a little water if the mixture is sticking to bottom of pan. Pan fry for 5 additional minutes until all is melded. Stir in the fenugreek leaves. Reduce heat to low. Cover pan with lid and let dish simmer for about 10 minutes. After this time, potatoes should be tender, but not mushy.


Enjoy!







3 comments:

Carlyn said...

The recipe sounds yummy. I love eating potatoes. I've bookmarked it so one day I can make it.

Unknown said...

Thank you Carolyn! Tell me how it turns out when you make it!

Unknown said...

I'm looking for more potato recipes and this one is it! I found your recipe over at Turn it Up Tuesday. I host Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday and would love it if you would come over and share this recipe. I’m sure our party goers would love it! Here is the link http://bit.ly/1qcBRGv. Have a wonderful day!

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS